Saturday, September 28, 2013

Slimy Serendipity

Anna:
I'm sure you all know that moment when you are slurping a delicious peach lemonade slush and you get your first little slimy chunk of chewiness. You forgot you were in Taiwan and, of course, everything under the "Slush Mouthfeel" section of the menu is going to give you a mouthful of something. And yes, it did say "Mouthfeel". It must be in the English language somewhere, friends. Well, maybe you haven't had the moment, but I just did and, strange as it may seem, it reminded me of the past week of teaching. 

When I knew I was supposed to come teach English in Taiwan, I knew without a doubt that God wanted me to go and I also knew that it would be hard. Those two facts have not wavered, but another fact is slowly gaining dominance in my mind: My Father is good. He never fluctuates in goodness. And while His very Being is good, all that He does is also good. 

When I ordered my slush, I thought I knew what to expect, but then there was the little slimy chunks to take the train of my experience and set it on a whole new track. That was week one of teaching, for me. I started out thinking that I knew what to expect. I knew I was supposed to be there and I knew it would be difficult, but I got a lovely surprise. It was that moment when I stood up in front of the class to teach and all five of my students looked at me expectantly and I knew my God is good. I can't explain exactly how it all connects or makes sense in my mind or even why I realized this in that moment, but somehow its like ordering a delicious drink and taking your first sip and getting the delightful slush with a slimy surprise that in the end is very yummy. After all, who doesn't like chewing a little bit of goop while drinking a slushy?


(Another slimy surprise -A Taiwanese Passion Fruit, very yummy)

1 comment:

  1. Those are some good moments. I guess they come when you're questioning God with the expectation that He answer and then when He answers its at the time He chooses, which is always the best. That happened to me at Summit a few times. Enjoy every mouthfeel.

    ReplyDelete